Laughter is the very essence of religion, seriousness is never religion, cannot be religion, seriousness is of the ego. Part of the very disease. Laughter is egolessness.
A Sudden clash of thunder, Chepter-9
1. Mulla Nasruddin once told me, 'Well, I have been putting off the evil day for months but I have got to go this time.'
'Dentist or doctor?' I inquired.
'Neither,' he said, 'I am getting married.'
2. Mulla Nasrudin went to the psychiatrist and asked if the good doctor couldn't split his personality.
"Split your personality?" asked the doctor. "Why in heaven's name do you want me to do a thing like that?"
"BECAUSE," said Nasrudin! "I AM SO LONESOME."
3. There was a case, a politician sued a man in the court. He said, 'In a hotel, this man called me an idiot.' Mulla Nasrudin was there to support the politician. 'Yes, he is right, this man called him an idiot.'
4. Mulla Nasrudin was in a taxi when the brakes failed.
"Help!" cried the driver in a panic. "I can't see it."
" WELL, said Nasrudin calmly, "CAN'T YOU AT LEAST TURN OFF THE METER THEN?
5. Look here," said the irritated chess wizard to Mulla Nasrudin, "you have been watching over my shoulder for three hours. Why don't you try playing a match yourself?"
"AH," drawled Nasrudin, 'I AIN'T GOT THE PATIENCE."
6. Mulla Nasrudin (in the barber's chair): "Got another razor?"
The barber: "Why?"
Nasrudin: "I WANT TO DEFEND MYSELF."
7. Mulla Nasrudin looked unhappy. "Is something worrying you?" asked his wife.
"Listen," said the Mulla, "I HAVE SO MANY WORRIES THAT, IF SOMETHING HAPPENED TODAY, I WON'T HAVE TIME TO WORRY ABOUT IT FOR ANOTHER MONTH."
8. Mulla Nasrudin took his young son to the cinema, but only bought one ticket. The usherette pointed out that he needed a ticket for the boy, and Nasrudin said, "I GIVE YOU MY WORD AS A GENTLEMAN HE WON'T LOOK."
9. I have lost my wallet," said Mulla Nasrudin.
"Have you looked into your pockets?" asked his wife.
"Yes, all but the left hand hip pocket."
"Well, why don't you look in that?"
"BECAUSE IF IT IS NOT THERE I WILL DROP DEAD."
10. Oh, I am sorry vicar -- are you busy?" asked Mulla Nasrudin.
"No, do come in, Mulla. I am just rehearsing one of my sermons."
"AH -- PRACTISING WHAT YOU PREACH! said Nasrudin.